According to the Ossian Journal, in 1936, Mr. Elmer Moser bought a farm west of Ossian, and in 1940 built a dam forming what is known today as Moser Lake. With the donation of the lake he also gave twenty acres to the north of the lake to build a clubhouse and have enough land to have a nice sized park or whatever the people thought would fit the situation.
The clubhouse was built from the timbers from the basin of the lake before the lake flooded completely. The clubhouse cost the taxpayers nothing unless they wanted to donate their time and labor to erect the building.
A little history of the land itself. The lake and surroundings were once part of an Indian reservation, which included about six square miles of what is now Jefferson Township.
Public records show that on February 21, 1848, the United States of America deeded a part of the tract to Absalom Waynee, an Indian, and a member of the Hinkishaw Tribe. The Miami Indians occupied the northern most part of Wells County. In 1840 it is said these two tribes numbered about 2,000. The land which was legally owned by Absalom Waynee is now the Northeast bank and is also covered in part by Moser Lake.
The first dam on the present site was built about the year 1852 by James Glass, and furnished waterpower for about four weeks, day and night, each spring for operation of a sawmill. This dam was of logs and earth and the mantelpieces in the present clubhouse were made from a piece of timber that was submerged for about 100 years, as wood entirely covered by water does not decay.
The Ossian Conservation Club provided a record and picture of Elmer Moser to become a part of the clubhouse, to honor Elmer Moser and all who took part in helping to provide a shelter and playground for all who desire to use it and to help make Ossian and the community a better place to live.